A recent tragedy at a preschool in New York City has been making headlines across the country. A three year old with a known dairy allergy was fed a grilled cheese sandwich for lunch. He went into anaphylactic shock and was rushed to the hospital by his mother. Unfortunately, the hospital was unable to save him. Now the preschool has been shut down pending an investigation and sadly a family has been irreparably broken.…continue reading the rest of Fatal Allergic Reactions
A recent news story about a child at a pumpkin farm caught our attention here at West Bend. The child suffered a medical emergency and passed out. Thankfully, another patron at the farm trained in CPR was able to help the little girl until emergency services arrived. While this story had a very happy ending, it highlights some of the safety issues that should be considered if or when a situation like this occurs.…continue reading the rest of Pumpkin Patch Safety
Imagine an elderly member came into your organization with an advanced directive stating that in the event of an emergency, they don't want to be resuscitated. Of course your first instinct would be the respect their wishes, however, is this the best course of action? Do organizations like YMCAs have to honor these types of requests?…continue reading the rest of Do Not Resuscitate Orders at the Gym?
Last month, a talented swimmer on the Dartmouth College swim team was exercising in a Florida YMCA pool while on vacation with his family. After a challenging 4000-yard swim set, he attempted four laps across the pool without taking a breath. Unfortunately, he was not successful.…continue reading the rest of Drowning Tragedy at YMCA Pool
How confident are you that you'd be able to escape a multi-story building completely engulfed in flames? Would you be able to make it out of a second- or third-story window if all other exits for blocked? An man in Oregon did just that thanks in large part to access to a fire escape ladder. According to news reports released this morning, the man used an escape ladder like the one in the video below to make his way out of the…continue reading the rest of Oregon Man Escapes Blaze in a Mutli-Story Building
The American Red Cross just released a new smartphone app that promises to prepare you for dangerous or life-threatening situations. The app covers a huge array of topics ranging from bee stings to hypothermia. I decided to take the app for a test drive so I could share my thoughts with all of you.
In short, the Red Cross executed this huge undertaking perfectly. I can't think of a single…continue reading the rest of [Review] Red Cross First-Aid Smartphone App
"This is a test of the Emergency Broadcast System."
Who hasn't heard that warning rattle through their radio? Or their TV?
We've all heard it at some point. But for people like me who almost never listen to the radio and prefer to skip through commercials by watching digitally recorded TV, you might struggle trying to remember the last time you heard or saw a legitimate storm warning or other notable…continue reading the rest of Emergency Warnings to Catch Up with Technology
Who is better at their job -- a lifeguard that successfully rescues two swimmers every week, or a lifeguard that has never left their stand?
Or, to put it another way, who would you rather have watching your kids -- a childcare provider that saved four kids last year by successfully performing the Heimlich maneuver, or a childcare provider that didn't…continue reading the rest of Why Being Really Good at Emergency Response is a Bad Thing
Performing CPR in a life-or-death situation is mentally, physically, and emotionally exhausting. I hope this incredible story about a man who was successfully revived - with no resulting brain damage - after 96 minutes provides the extra burst of strength and motivation you may need the next time someone's life is in your hands. While the article primarily focuses on…continue reading the rest of When Not to Quit: Man Revived After 96 Minutes
A drowning tragedy that took place in the Bahamas earlier this week is raising questions about the response of the waterpark's lifeguards. We encourage you to read more about the circumstances leading up to the drowning, but in short, an unresponsive five-year-old girl was pulled from the water by a waterpark guest. Another guest, who happened to be a registered nurse, immediately began providing rescue breathing. Shortly thereafter, an emergency room doctor…continue reading the rest of Who Knows Best: Doctor or Lifeguard?