Charges or Convictions Discovered
Criminal background checks are confidential. All employees involved in the volunteer screening process must understand the legal ramifications of disclosing any of the information discovered. It is important to consider the following questions when considering a volunteer applicant with a criminal background.
- How long ago was the conviction?
- What is the nature of the crime?
- Is the individual legally allowed to work with or close to children?
- Was there more than one conviction?
- Do the circumstances of the crime lead you to believe it could be repeated?
- Did the individual go through any rehabilitation activities?